Teriyaki chicken bowls
Yield 6 serves
This recipe for teriyaki chicken bowls is so easy, the chicken bakes in the sauce to make it super tasty and tender. It makes a big batch so you may want to halve the recipe.
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (but other vinegar would work)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 3 cups cooked medium grain rice
- 2 carrots, shredded or grated
- 2 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup cooked edamame beans
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Kewpie Japanese mayo
- Preheat oven to 200.C fanbake.
- Combine the teriyaki sauce ingredients.
- Place chicken thighs in an oven proof dish and pour over sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes then turn over chicken, add the cornflour mix to the sauce.
- Turn the oven onto fan grill and place the dish closer to the grill.
- Cook for another 15 minutes until chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and slice into strips, the sauce should have thickened up, if it hasn't place the sauce in the dish back under the grill.
- Serve on top of cooked rice, add the carrots, cabbage, edamame beans, spring onion and then the chicken. Spoon over extra teriyaki sauce and scatter sesame seeds over chicken.
- Add as much kewpie mayo as desired then serve immediately.
Recipe by VJ Cooks at https://vjcooks.com/teriyaki-chicken-bowls/