Passionfruit meringue pie
Yield 1 pie
- 2 sheets of ready rolled sweet short pastry
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (395g)
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (80ml)
- 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp = 3 fresh passionfruit (60ml)
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup of caster sugar (130g)
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C fanbake. Lightly grease a 22cm pie tin or flan ring.
- Line the pie tin with pastry and trim the excess. Place a sheet of baking paper onto pastry case and 2/3 fill with dry rice.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove baking paper and filling. Bake for a further 5 minutes then take out of the oven to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 160˚C.
- To make the filling, add to a bowl condensed milk, egg, yolks, lemon juice and passionfruit pulp.
- Mix well until is it is smooth and slightly thick. Set aside until ready to bake.
- Place egg whites and salt into a bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually pour in caster sugar, then mix on high for 5 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Pour the passionfruit mix into the pastry shell and spread to the edges. Spoon over the meringue and create little peaks with a fork. Bake for 50 minutes until meringue is crispy and golden.
- Let the pie cool on the bench for an hour, put it into the fridge to cool completely then serve.
If you can't get fresh passionfruit you can use passionfruit pulp from a can but note that it is much sweeter so you may have to use less pulp and more lemon juice.
Recipe by VJ Cooks at https://vjcooks.com/passionfruit-meringue-pie/