Yield 1 loaf
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 50g butter, melted
- 4 Weetbix, crushed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180.C fanbake
- Prepare a loaf tin with baking paper and cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine dates, butter, Weetbix, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and boiling water.
- Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg and sift in flour. Fold all ingredients together until combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin and scatter over brown sugar.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit in the loaf tin for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Best served warm with butter.
Cuisine New Zealand
Recipe by VJ Cooks at https://vjcooks.com/nanas-date-loaf/