This easy lumberjack cake is made with apples, dates and has a delicious coconut topping.
- 2 large apples, grated
- 1 cup dried or fresh dates, chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 125g butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar to serve
- 60g butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used half coconut chips)
- Preheat oven to 180.C fanbake. Grease and line a 23cm round cake tin.
- Add apples, dates and baking soda to a bowl. Pour in boiling water, mix together and set aside while you make the batter. (10 mins)
- Melt butter in a large microwave proof bowl, pour in sugar and whisk together. Crack in the egg and a teaspoon of vanilla then mix again.
- Add the apple and date mixture and sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold everything together until just combined.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 55 minutes. (or until cake springs back when you press it)
- Topping: Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix together.
- Remove the cake from the oven and carefully spread the topping over the cake. Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cake in the tin to cool, then turn out and place on a serving plate.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar before serving.
Recipe by VJ Cooks at https://vjcooks.com/lumberjack-cake/