This chicken buddha bowl is a quick, easy and healthy midweek meal packed full of vegetables and served with satay dressing.
I have seen buddha bowl recipes floating around the internet and thought I would try out my own spin on one. I think they are supposed to vegetarian, but I liked the idea of a chicken buddha bowl. This recipe has lots of colourful vegetables and is served with an easy-to-make satay sauce.
A “Buddha Bowl,” according to urban dictionary, is “a bowl which is packed so full that it has a rounded ‘belly’ appearance on the top much like the belly of a buddha.”
How to make chicken buddha bowls:
To make this recipe simply fry the chicken with some sesame oil and soy sauce until cooked through. Cook the brown rice, I like to use my rice cooker or cheat and buy packet cooked rice if I am in a hurry. You can serve the broccoli raw or cooked, it is up to you.
Compile the buddha bowls by dividing the rice between 4 bowls then arrange the edamame beans, carrot, radish, broccoli, chicken, crispy noodles and spring onion on top. Scatter over the sesame seeds then pour on the satay dressing. Now you have a delicious and healthy dinner!
This is a great recipe to make ahead for meal prep, you can eat it at work the next day hot or cold. There are no rules when it comes to salads like this, so use up whatever veggies you have in the fridge that you think will partner well with the satay sauce. You could also change the chicken up for tofu, beef or lamb. My 3 year old son ate a simple version of this with rice, chicken, broccoli and crispy noodles.
More chicken recipes to try:
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 500g chicken, diced
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 cup cooked edamame beans
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of cooked broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup crispy noodles
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 75ml boiling water
- 4 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Heat oil in a large frypan, add the chicken once it is hot. Fry for about five minutes turning chicken until it is cooked through. Pour in the sesame oil and soy sauce then stir through the chicken until it is all coated and all the liquid has evaporated.
- To make the salad divide the hot rice between four bowls, then arrange the carrot, edamame beans, radish, broccoli, crispy noodles, chicken and spring onion on top.
- Scatter over the sesame seeds. Serve drizzled with satay sauce.
- Place boiling water and peanut butter in a mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Stir in brown sugar, sweet chilli, soy sauce and ginger. Whisk everything together and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- You may want to heat up your satay sauce before serving.
- The chicken could be swapped out for diced tofu, beef or lamb.
- Add Japanese kewpie mayo if you want an extra sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 669Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 897mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 44g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CHECKING OUT MY RECIPE.
FOLLOW ALONG AT MY FACEBOOK PAGE.